So many accidents and deaths of toddlers and children could easily be prevented. Here are 9 suggestions for keeping your children safe, no matter what their age.
1.Keep young children within sight whenever the possibility exists for them to get into trouble.
2. Teach toddlers and pre-schoolers about the dangers associated with fires, stoves, electricity, knives, guns and so on. But don't let this make you lax. Keep an eye on them and keep them out of harms way until you know they can handle these dangerous elements safely.
3.Teach them road safety as soon as they are old enough to understand.
4. Make your children aware that all strangers are not friends and show them how to react in case a suspicious stranger wants to pick them up.
5. Teach your children that their body belongs to them and that nobody has a right to touch them in inappropriate ways. The following books are a great way to get this discussion started.
1. Teach your children about online safety. Two good books to do that are
2. Teach them to stand up for themselves and to resist peer pressure.
3. Speak to your teen about the risks of things like drugs, drunk driving, sex and so on.
4. Know your kids whereabouts at all times. If they are out with friends, be clear on the arrangements that are in place for them to get home.